Results tagged ‘ Chris Perez ’
Roy Oswalt enters Friday 0-2 with a 6.23 ERA this season. He is 23-1 all time vs. the Reds. Here is the lineup Oswalt will be facing:
News you can use:
- Dusty Baker got a scouting report on IF Drew Sutton, who came over Thursday in the Jeff Keppinger trade.
“I talked to some guys over with the Astros,” Baker said. “They told me they liked him. They said he was a good player. He can run. They said he can play second base, first base and they believe he can play the outfield too because of his speed and instincts.”
- Keppinger wasn’t in Friday’s Astros lineup and is one of several Houston players bothered by a sore back. He came into the day hitting .467 with a six-game hitting streak. Knowing a little more about Sutton as the “player to be named later”, how do you feel about the return from this deal?
- Baker was asked about the Reds facing Oswalt.
“We’ll get him,” Baker said. “The law of averages is definitely on our side…been on our side for a long time.”
The last time the Reds beat Oswalt was April 28, 2006.
- After his last outing at Milwaukee on Wednesday where he gave up four sixth-inning runs, plus one charged to Micah Owings, reliever Jared Burton was pretty down and sounded like someone who had been struggling for a while despite some good numbers. On Friday, Burton clarified a little but said he hasn’t felt like himself on the mound, yet.
“For some reason, my command has been suffering a little bit,” Burton said. “I find myself feeling for my pitches. Me personally, I’m not a feel pitcher. I like to rely on my intensity and things like that. It’s what gives me that good finish on my pitches, that late movement.
“My velocity isn’t where it will be in another month.”
- In the clubhouse, some players were watching the Cardinals-Cubs afternoon game. Reliever Chris Perez was pitching for St. Louis. Edinson Volquez remembered seeing Perez routinely throw 100-101 mph when they were in Double-A.
When asked, Volquez said his top speed in the Minors was 100 mph. I asked how he felt when he threw it.
“I got dizzy,” Volquez said with a laugh. “Then I tried to throw 100 again, and it was 94 mph.”
- Some Minor League news from Jamie Ramsey of the Reds:
In last night’s Triple-A Louisville loss to Indianapolis, Adam Rosales was 2-for-4 and hit his third homer of the season. Jonny Gomes reached base three times with a single and two walks.
Rosales is batting .375 (9-for-24) through seven games. Gomes is batting .217 (5-for-23).