There had been speculation brewing for much of the summer that Reds general manager Walt Jocketty could be a candidate for the D-backs GM job if an anticipated change was made by his former Cardinals manager and current chief baseball officer Tony La Russa. Jocketty’s three-year contract with the Reds expires after this season.
That change came overnight Thursday when LaRussa dismissed GM Kevin Towers and offered him another position in the organization. Various candidates for the job emerged on Friday, but La Russa went on record to say that there would not be a working reunion of sorts with Jocketty. He will not be a candidate to replace Towers.
“I think I’m very confident in saying that Walt is entirely committed to the Cincinnati Reds and he’s total interest is about what it takes to make them a champion,” La Russa told reporters in Arizona. “And I know his loyalty to Bob Castellini and the folks that work with the Reds so Walt’s not part of what we do here. He’s working and he’s committed.”
Jocketty was traveling on Friday. A message was left for comment.
UPDATE: Jocketty told me via phone that he was optimistic he would re-sign with the Reds.
“I’ve had discussions with Mr. Castellini and we’re still working out some things that will be resolved hopefully very soon,” Jocketty said while traveling to see the Reds’ Class A Bakersfield affiliate compete in the playoffs. “I feel like I have a commitment to win a championship here. I want to hopefully stay until we accomplish that.”
More soon on Reds.com/MLB.com
Reds pitcher Homer Bailey will have surgery to repair a small tear in the flexor mass tendon near his right forearm.
Medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek will perform the operation Friday morning in Cincinnati. A timetable isn’t specific but Bailey is expected to be ready for the start of Spring Training 2015.
“We tried the conservative approach with his flexor tendon and unfortunately, it’s not healing. So the decision was to repair that tendon,” Reds head trainer Paul Lessard said. “He should be just about ready to go for Spring Training.”
Former Reds reliever Jonathan Broxton had the flexor mass tendon surgery in August 2013.
“Not as extensive, but very similar,” Lessard said of Bailey’s procedure.
Now this is a lineup I wouldn’t have predicted to see posted when this season started…
*This is the 109th different lineup used by the Reds this season.
*Yorman Rodriguez will be making his MLB debut.
Jake Elmore entered Wednesday’s 6-0 Reds loss to the Orioles in the eighth inning and became the 26th different shortstop to play alongside second baseman Brandon Phillips since 2006.
Courtesy of the Reds, the full list:
Jerry Hairston Jr.
*Danny Richar played shortstop for the Reds in 2008 but not while Phillips was playing second base.
Entering Wednesday’s game, Reds 2B Brandon Phillips was on a 0-for-16 stretch and batting only .148 (8-for-54) since returning from the disabled list after surgery for a torn ligament in his left thumb.
That’s not exactly the production the Reds were hoping for when Phillips returned ahead of schedule after he missed 33 games on the DL.
“I think it all comes down to the inactivity, I don’t think there’s any question,” Reds manager Bryan Price said on Wednesday. “You take six weeks off and he jumps right back in like he did. That’s on us, he wanted — we knew Brandon wanted to play, but that was in large part our willingness organizationally and my willingness as a manager to say yes. Sure, come on back, you played three games after six weeks, come on back.
“We’re in a situation where our season was sitting there in the balance and we needed him. I was willing to take the risk that he might be ineffective when he came back, initially, swinging the bat. I love how he’s invested, I really do.”
Greetings from muggy Baltimore and Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Oddly enough, I rarely hear the place referred to as Oriole Park and only as Camden Yards. I’ve been here four or five times, but this is only the Reds’ second visit here. The last time, was in 2011 when the Baltimore was the last city the Reds visited in Interleague Play and played here for the first time since the 1970 World Series. The Orioles took two of three in the series.
Also strange, this is 36-year-old Ryan Ludwick’s first-ever visit to Baltimore as a player. Very strange considering how long he’s played and that he’s played in the American League.
I’m not surprised that none of the September call-ups are in the starting lineup and I wouldn’t expect that to happen in games that have meaning for the opponents. The Orioles are in first place in the AL East and battling for the postseason, of course.
Of the 10 call-ups, and the four players not previously up this season, I’m most interested in seeing Yorman Rodriguez play. He was a much-ballyhooed signing as a 16-year-old for $2.5 million and he just turned 22 a couple of weeks ago. I’ve seen him at Spring Training but now we’ll see how he fares in regular season games.
The Reds will add 10 players to the big league roster now that rosters can expand for September.
Recalled from Triple-A Louisville:
RHP Carlos Contreras (#53)
RHP Daniel Corcino (#64)
IF/OF Jake Elmore (#15)
LHP David Holmberg (#36)
RHP J.J. Hoover (#60)
C Tucker Barnhart (#16)
1B/OF Donald Lutz (#23)
Recalled from Double-A Pensacola:
OF Yorman Rodriguez (#33)
Contracts selected from Louisville:
OF Jason Bourgeois (#30)
LHP Ryan Dennick (#41)
Moved to the 60-day disabled list: RHP Homer Bailey. That means that Bailey’s season is over after he went on the 15-day DL Aug. 16 with a flexor mass strain in his right forearm, and hasn’t pitched since Aug. 7.