With the 11th overall selection in the first round of the 2015 First-Year Player Draft, the Reds picked catcher Tyler Stephenson from Kennesaw Mountain High School in Georgia.
An 18-year-old, Stephenson is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound right-handed hitter that had earlier projections as a potential overall No. 1 pick. He already has a college commitment to Georgia Tech should he not turn professional.
This season, Stephenson batted .415 with 8 home runs and 25 RBIs for Kennesaw Mountain High School.
The bonus for the 11th overall pick has a slot value of $3,141,600 for Cincinnati.
Cincinnati also has the 49th overall pick and 71st pick left on Monday.
Much more to come on MLB.com/Reds.com
Since the Reds have lost Marlon Byrd to a fractured right wrist on Tuesday, either Skip Schumaker or Kristopher Negron have played left field for the Reds. Tonight, Ivan De Jesus Jr. is getting the start. Brennan Boesch has not played. Now we know why – courtesy of our associate reporter Robert Bondy.
“Some lower back issues that really limited his availability in this past series,” Reds manager Bryan Price said. “He could have probably pitch hit yesterday or pinch ran but there were still some limitations, but I imagine you’ll see him getting a start here in one of the next couple games against one of the right-handers, Harang or Williams.”
Price believed Boesch was pretty close to 100 percent again.
Also — OF Jason Bourgeois is beginning a rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville tonight. Bourgeois has been out since fracturing his left shoulder in March during Spring Training. As reported on Sunday, Devin Mesoraco is also beginning his rehab assignment with Louisville — in left field.
When Jon Moscot debuted for the Reds in Friday’s loss to the Padres, he became the fourth rookie pitcher to start this season for the club. Moscot joined Michael Lorenzen, Anthony DeSclafani and the currently-on-the-DL Raisel Iglesias.
These pitchers will have to learn on the job while trying to give the Reds a chance to win games.
“We have tabbed these four guys that are with us now, even though Iglesias is on the disabled list, really as the future of our starting rotation (and) perhaps our bullpen,” Reds manager Bryan Price said on Saturday. “I think that sometimes you have to settle into the big league level before your role is defined but heading into this season we felt like all four of those that are up with us now, DeSclafani, Lorenzen, Iglesias and Moscot were destined to be part of our starting rotation. It’s come a little bit sooner then we anticipated but we embrace it and it’s a great opportunity to learn and get better. We’re not really going go baby steps, we’re going to ask these guys to go out there and do what we expect and that’s to keep themselves in games, compete, learn and pitch innings. So we’re all excited about it.
“It’s an interesting mix because we have more of a veteran group of position players and a much younger starting rotation then we anticipated. But having [Johnny] Cueto, [Mike] Leake and Homer Bailey here certainly provides some leadership for the young guys as well.”
Price was asked if the idea of a youth movement suggested the team was already looking ahead to next year instead of playing for 2015. He did not believe that to be the case.
“Well, we’re playing with what we have,” Price replied. “We knew that the limitations we had were that we had to make some roster adjustments for some payroll flexibility which led to some of the off-season moves. And it also created some opportunities for these young guys when needed to come in and pitch, but we knew this was our fall back. We are seeing our fall back position right now, and that’s seeing our young pitchers up here sooner then we anticipated. So we can look at it any way we choose to. I choose to look at it as a positive, as that these guys have a great veteran team behind them. We have one of the best defensive teams in the National League, if not in baseball, behind this group of young starting pitchers. We have to see that as a positive, not just for next year but for this year.”
It appears that Reds ace Johnny Cueto came through Tuesday’s six-inning, 93-pitch start against Philadelphia without any health setbacks. Cueto, of course, was pitching after he missed time with right elbow stiffness. Besides having no problems on the mound vs. the Phillies, an important was no issues the day after on Wednesday.
“He looks good. He came in, he was bubbly,” Reds manager Bryan Price said. “He hadn’t played catch yet but there were no signs of any issues. He wasn’t complaining of any type of soreness. I’m sure he’ll have his regular post pitching soreness. What we’re hoping is that there is not what he felt after the start in Kansas City, which was considerably more. i think that was something he was able to notice the next day without throwing.”
Cueto’s next start is scheduled for Sunday vs. the Padres.