Price explains Cueto being pushed back
Both manager Bryan Price and Johnny Cueto agreed that the Reds ace could have pitched on Tuesday vs. the Pirates. Instead, Cueto is now starting on Friday vs. the Mets.
Cueto is going along with the plan and didn’t complain. But he also didn’t seem thrilled with the change.
“I don’t think anything. They’re the ones who know,” Cueto said via translator Tomas Vera.
Does he feel fine?
“Yeah, I could have pitched today but they’re the ones who know,” Cueto said.
Last month, Cueto missed a start because of right elbow stiffness. Price noted there was no new injury issue but the club also to give Cueto extra, extra rest to get him back to 100 percent.
“He had that little pocket of inflammation that has been an area where we’ve really tried to strengthen it when we skipped him after the Kansas City start and we haven’t gotten ourselves all the way back to 100 percent,” Price said. “It just seemed to make sense that we weren’t going to be able to get him there without giving him a little time off, and time for treatment and his strength back up. He could pitch. He could have pitched today just like he had the other starts. … I don’t see another window without having to do something with the roster and send somebody out and start to juggle and do things we didn’t want to do. We’re just taking advantage of a few days off.”
Price was asked if all was well with Cueto’s elbow.
“There’s nothing that’s inconsistent with what we’ve already dealt with this year,” Price replied. “All the MRI stuff he did in his elbow, all the structural stuff is great. That’s a non-issue. That little area of fatigue, I won’t say it’s nagging, but it’s been a pain in the backside and we’re trying to knock that out completely and get his strength where it needs to be and we shouldn’t have any issues the rest of the way.”
There will be more later on Reds.com/MLB.com.