Jocketty not D-backs GM candidate
There had been speculation brewing for much of the summer that Reds general manager Walt Jocketty could be a candidate for the D-backs GM job if an anticipated change was made by his former Cardinals manager and current chief baseball officer Tony La Russa. Jocketty’s three-year contract with the Reds expires after this season.
That change came overnight Thursday when LaRussa dismissed GM Kevin Towers and offered him another position in the organization. Various candidates for the job emerged on Friday, but La Russa went on record to say that there would not be a working reunion of sorts with Jocketty. He will not be a candidate to replace Towers.
“I think I’m very confident in saying that Walt is entirely committed to the Cincinnati Reds and he’s total interest is about what it takes to make them a champion,” La Russa told reporters in Arizona. “And I know his loyalty to Bob Castellini and the folks that work with the Reds so Walt’s not part of what we do here. He’s working and he’s committed.”
Jocketty was traveling on Friday. A message was left for comment.
UPDATE: Jocketty told me via phone that he was optimistic he would re-sign with the Reds.
“I’ve had discussions with Mr. Castellini and we’re still working out some things that will be resolved hopefully very soon,” Jocketty said while traveling to see the Reds’ Class A Bakersfield affiliate compete in the playoffs. “I feel like I have a commitment to win a championship here. I want to hopefully stay until we accomplish that.”
More soon on Reds.com/MLB.com