Bailey close to multi-year deal
Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey’s arbitration hearing is slated for Thursday, but it looks like he won’t need to go to Florida to have it. Bailey confirmed Monday morning that he is near to agreeing on a multi-year contract with the Reds.
“It feels like we’re really close,” Bailey said. “That’s all I can say. This whole process has been a long drawn out deal. That’s the way it goes. To say this as confident as I’ve been, yeah, I think so.”
As of last week, there was a large gap in the negotiations but that difference was bridged as a hearing loomed closer.
A report from the Cleveland Plain Dealer said the deal could be worth around $100 million over six years.
Bailey filed for $11.6 million while the Reds had countered at $8.7 million. One year ago, the Reds and Bailey avoided arbitration with a one-year, $5.35 million contract. He said that as the hearing draws closer, he hasn’t been getting more nervous or stressed.
“Not so much. There are a lot of things that we have in place, I think,” Bailey said. “I feel like a majority of it is fairly worked out. It’s some of the little details, I think, that we’re really close with. With us being here and everybody in different time zones, it puts a little bit of a damper on things.”
In 32 starts last season, Bailey was 11-12 with a career-best 3.49 ERA. He achieved career bests in innings (209) and strikeouts (199). On July 2 vs. the Giants at Great American Ball Park, he threw the second no-hitter of his career.
Improvement has come mainly over the last three seasons, as Bailey went a combined 33-29 with a 3.79 ERA. Over the 549 innings that span, he has a 3.40 strikeouts-to-walks, a 1.21 WHIP and 105 ERA+.
How confident is Bailey that a deal might get done soon? He has yet to buy a plane ticket to go to the hearing.
“Not yet. But I also don’t have a suit so I might have to go to Men’s Warehouse today,” Bailey said.