Reds still eyeing OFs, INFs

I talked to Reds GM Walt Jocketty about Friday’s signings and the negotiations that will continue with arbitration-eligible players Homer Bailey and Aroldis Chapman. There will be another story forthcoming on that in a little while.

Also discussed was there Reds’ interest in adding any other players on the free agent market. Jocketty is still seeking an extra outfielder and an extra infielder. I asked about Grady Sizemore but Jocketty spoke generally.

“We’re still looking at a couple of guys,” Jocketty said. “I don’t think there’s been any progress, especially this week. Once a lot of the agents get through the arbitration process this week, we’ll have more time to pursue any last minute invites for Spring Training that create more competition.”

Last Friday, I wrote about the team’s options for the extra infielder and whether it was a requisite to have a backup that can play shortstop. In a short term situation, Jocketty said he doesn’t feel compelled to have a backup shortstop. But he wouldn’t mind adding insurance in case something happened to Zack Cozart.

“We probably could [do without] but we prefer to have somebody that could play short,” Jocketty said. [Todd] Frazier could. [Jack] Hannahan probably could in a pinch. I don’t think [Skip] Schumaker has ever played over there. As long as we felt comfortable with somebody at Triple-A that we could bring up, but I’m not sure we have that guy yet.”

2 Comments

Hey Mark,
So who do you think the Reds will sign as a backup SS ( Elliot Jhonson?.Ramon Santiago?)> I’m pretty sure Jockety was trying to get Herrera from Colorado (Marshal trade) before he was shipped to Boston for Morales.

Also I would be happy about a Sizemore signing… especially if it’s a minor league deal.
Any chance the reds were one of the teams to watch Figgins work out?

MLBTradeRumors
Reds In Advanced Talks With Grady Sizemore

By Edward Creech [January 19, 2014 at 4:19pm CST]

4:19pm: “Some details have to be worked out,” Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We hope to get something done next week.” Jocketty also told Fay both Major League and minor league deals have been discussed with Sizemore.

2:53pm:The Reds are in advanced talks with outfielder Grady Sizemore, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The sources, however, caution other teams are involved and the 31-year-old free agent could go in a different direction.

This is not the first time the Reds have been linked to the three-time All-Star, who hasn’t played since 2011 because of microfracture surgery on his right knee and back and sports hernia operations. Earlier this month, Reds GM Walt Jocketty told MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon he believes Sizemore is healthy enough to resume his career and acknowledged there has been talks with his representatives.

Sizemore slashed .281/.372/.496 with 107 home runs and 115 steals from 2005-08 winning a pair of Gold Gloves and a Silver Slugger. He missed only nine games over the course of that four-year run, but has appeared in only 210 games since posting a line of .234/.314/.413.

Sizemore would provide insurance for the Reds, who plan on starting rookie Billy Hamilton in center after losing Shin-Soo Choo to free agency. The Astros have also been connected to the Joe Urbon client this winter while the Twins were interested but have since moved on.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 428 other followers

%d bloggers like this: