Votto on the long term
Reds 1B Joey Votto was certainly prepared to take the field for the first full squad workout on Friday. Votto was also prepared for the post-workout questions about his long term future with the Reds. After first basemen Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder signed monster contracts this winter, Votto is viewed as one of the next big blockbusters to come when he can hit the market after the 2013 season. He’s currently playing under a three-year, $38 million contract that he signed in January, 2011.
“I’m going to make it pretty simple for just about anybody,” Votto said. “I’m going to leave all that to the Reds front office and my agent and myself. I will try to keep it as private as possible. I don’t think it’s fair to the fans. I don’t think it’s fair to myself. It’s certainly not fair to the team for any of that type of stuff to creep into the season and become a distraction. I plan to make some sort of comment if I happen to sign an extension with the Reds or if I happen to get to the point where I get to free agency.”
Someone who doesn’t like to make a lot of waves publicly in general, it’s the distraction factor that Votto is most abhorrent about when it comes to public contract talk.
“You know what? I’m human and it is a distraction,” Votto said. “As much as players want to say it’s not a distraction and it doesn’t affect me at all, it’s exhausting. And it’s a lingering issue. The team knows about it. Fans know about it. Management knows about it. The bottom line is every player has the right to say yes and no. it’s clearly my decision. Once the public gets a handle on it, it can turn bad and I don’t want that because I’m in a lucky spot. I signed a three-year deal last year. I have another two years on my deal. And I’m in a position where I don’t have to comment on contracts because I’m in the midst of one.”
After a slight pause, Votto added…
“Prince sure got a lot of money though, didn’t he?”