Payroll to stay close to '09 level
My Winter Meetings preview story will roll out on Wednesday morning but I have some information to pass along a little early.
I spoke with Reds GM Walt Jocketty this morning and here are the highlights:
* It appears the Reds will not be cutting payroll significantly for 2010 as previously speculated on some media outlets.
“I think it [the payroll] will be close to what it was last year,” Jocketty said.
Keep in mind, that doesn’t mean there won’t be some tough decisions coming. The Reds payroll was $73 million in 2009. They have already committed over $64 million to nine players for 2010. Does that mean some players could still be moved to meet payroll?
“I don’t want to talk about that,” Jocketty said. “I’m still working on it.”
* The Reds are still looking to strengthen their offense and according to Jocketty, possibly to add a fifth starter.
* In trade talks with other clubs, there has been a familiar stopping point.
“I’ve had some talks with clubs and it seems everyone wants our young players and I don’t want to deal those guys,” Jocketty said.
* There were no talks last week between the Reds and the agents for arbitration eligible outfielder Jonny Gomes. It was hoped that talks could continue during the meetings. Teams must tender contract offers by Dec. 12.
The Winter Meetings will be going on from Dec. 7-10 in Indianapolis.
Follow me on Twitter at