Thankful for roof, RIP Harry Kalas
As I walked through wet and blustery downtown Milwaukee for lunch with temperatures in the 30s and 40s, two thoughts were on my mind:
1. I’m thankful Miller Park has a roof. Otherwise, it would be a miserable night for fans and everyone involved and I’m not sure the game would be played.
2. I finally got around to watching the series finale to “Life on Mars” online and it left me in a considerable funk. Not a good ending to reward my faithful viewing.
But that all paled in comparsion to the news I heard when I returned to my hotel — Phillies iconic radio voice Harry Kalas died today. He was found passed out in the broadcast booth not long before the game at Nationals Park.
Kalas, 73, was to Philadelphia as what Marty Brennaman means to Cincinnati. To a generation, Kalas was the voice of NFL Films, especially when watching the weekly installments of HBO’s “Inside the NFL.” I feel for the Phillies and their fans for losing their voice. I can’t help but wonder how hard it is for Kalas’ broadcast partners to get through the game today without their friend.
News you can use:
- Seventh hitter Ramon Hernandez is 1-for-15 this season entering the night and eighth hitter Alex Gonzalez came in 0-for-12. Obviously, Dusty Baker would like to see them get going at the plate.
“Hernandez is swinging a little better than Gonzalez,” Baker said. “He doesn’t have too many hits to show for it. We need them at the bottom of the order to roll the lineup around. They’re better than they’re hitting. I know that.”
- Struggling Jay Bruce has been fouling off a lot of pitches lately and came in 4-for-20 (.200) in his five games.
“I don’t think he’s pressing as much as his timing is off,” Baker said.
- As expected, Marty Brennaman was sad to hear about Kalas’ passing.
“It’s ironic we talked five days ago,” Brennaman said. “We had the kind of friendship where we didn’t talk every week. Sometimes, we’d go two months without talking. But we’d always stayed in touch. I don’t do that with too many guys, not that I don’t like them all, but we had a certain relationship that we really liked one another.”