Rain be gone, please
I’d love to say it’s a perfect night for baseball here at Great American Ball Park but it’s raining — sometimes light and other times cats and dogs. The Reds are usually willing to hunker down all night to wait out the weather so there’s a belief here that the game vs. PIT could be played. But the forecast calls for more rain and there’s a 1:10 p.m. game just around the corner on Saturday. Let’s hope it clears up enough, and sooner than later.
News you can use:
For the first time after three games this season, Dusty Baker could make the lineup he expected to make against a right-handed pitcher.
Taveras CF, Dickerson LF, Votto 1B, Phillips 2B, Bruce RF, Encarnacion 3B, Hernandez C, Gonzalez SS, Cueto P
“It wouldn’t be new if everyone was healthy and fresh. We haven’t had it like that,” Baker said.
- Jerry Hairston Jr. (tight left leg) says he could play tonight. Hairston wasn’t in the lineup, partially because Baker’s platoon has Chris Dickerson hitting vs. right-handed pitchers like Pittsburgh’s Jeff Karstens.
“It feels a lot better today,” Hairston said. “I could have played today but they wanted to give me an extra day.”
- Entering tonight, Arthur Rhodes and David Weathers have combined to retire all 13 batters faced with a total of 42 pitches, 35 strikes. Rhodes has 31 pitches/27 strikes while Weathers has 11 pitches/8 strikes.
- A closed door team meeting was called for about 10 minutes during the afternoon. Players were informed that the mother of pitching prospect Pedro Viola, Teresa Contreras, had surgery today to remove a tumor from her face. The surgery went without complications.
- In the former Reds department, former pitcher Matt Belisle had his Minor League contract purchased by Rockies today. Belisle, who was 1-0 with a 2.61 ERA, seven strikeouts and two walks in Spring Training, will work from Colorado’s bullpen.
If Belisle does well for the Rockies, what is the over/under on how long it will take for comments and e-mails to flow about the Reds letting him go? Every year when an ex-Reds had a good week elsewhere (Justin Germano, Cody Ross, Brandon Harris come to mind), the inbox gets heavy. I don’t think these were guys the Reds have really missed in the big picture. I have no doubt Jeff Keppinger’s name will come up soon too.
- In the get to know him department, Baker is a big fan of the Weather Channel and calls it his favorite stop on the dial.
“I watch it at home – the five day forecast to see how accurate the weather guy is,” Baker said. “It’s a tough job. I don’t second guess them. You’re trying to predict what God is making and creating and changing.”